[kdepim-users] Online sync of Kontact?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Feb 9 22:01:52 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 09 February 2010, Art Alexion wrote:
> 2010/2/8 Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:
> >>
> >> I doubt, this will not work: kontact assumes predefined names for
> >> the 'groupware' IMAP folders, e.g. 'Contacts' for address data
> >> etc. - dunno if exchange can be convinced to keep its data there
> >
> > I don't think that Exchange exports its non-mail folders via IMAP.
> > At least, the Exchange server of my company doesn't do so. Also, I
> > doubt very much that the Exchange server would present the content
> > of the groupware folders in the Kolab format.
>
> That would explain why Evolution reports that there is no mail in the
> folders and presents them as empty.  I had thought that possibly, it
> was just in some format that evolution didn't understand, but that
> Kontact would.
>
> I am going to get inside the exchange configuration and see if I can
> force it to serve those folders via IMAP.  Before I do, which formats
> would Kontact be able to use?

In the open format invented for and used by Kolab (www.kolab.org).
Exchange does not support this format, so you won't be able to use those
folders even if you can make the appear via IMAP.

There is some work going into an Exchange resource for Akonadi. AFAIK
basic functionality like reading data from the Exchange server already
works. You might want to check this out.