[kdepim-users] Online sync of Kontact?

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Mon Feb 8 20:46:34 GMT 2010

Am Monday 08 February 2010 21:18:58 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> It's not a weird reason. The problem is that KAddressBook and KOrganizer
> assume that they have fast access to the data. They were not designed to
> work with remote address books or calendars. (LDAP does work somehow in
> KAddressBook, but this is only works for LDAP.) This is why using IMAP
> instead of DIMAP would be insane.

ok, that sounds reasonable (at least, somehow, although I doubt it would be
impossible to access address data in tiny vcards over a network at acceptable
performance)

> The main reason for requesting this to work over IMAP was that in
> earlier times one had to get the whole IMAP account via DIMAP. This
> problem was fixed by the introduction of local subscription of folders.
> Using this feature you can create a normal IMAP account for your mail
> and a DIMAP account for the groupware folders. For the normal account
> you subscribe to the mail folders and for the DIMAP account you
> subscribe to the groupware folders.

that was introduced later, and can be considered a workaround, yes.
at least, it solves the problem of having to keep a complete copy of what is
on the server just for the sake of being able to use the imap-groupware
feature.

> With Akonadi we will get rid of the distinction between IMAP and DIMAP.
> What is cached locally will then be controlled by caching policies which
> can be defined per folder.

fine.
I'm still trying to figure out what can be done with akonadi ATM (4.4 RC2).
didn't find a way to add a 'imap folder based addressbook' so far, though.
maybe this is just not yet available.

werner