[kdepim-users] Online sync of Kontact?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Feb 19 19:11:06 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010, Fabian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as I mentioned in a different mail, I've got the same problem.
>
> >> Yes I can creat folders. But i can't create a subfolder in inbox,
> >> but Kmail
> >> tries to create in inbox all the needed subfolders for
> >> korganizer, kaddressbook...
> >>
> >>So i guess the Problem is that i can't create a subfolder in inbox
> >>but
> >>
> >> that
> >> is what Kmail tries to do.
> >>
> >>is there a way to change the path for that?
> >>
> > Go to Settings->Kmail->Misc->Groupware and specify the path in
> > "Resource folders are subfolders of:"
>
> This setting is just available if you use the old kolab 1 format,
> which I would avoid. I really can't understand why I can't change
> the folders. I'm using the german version of kontact, so the names
> of the generated directories are also in German. For me this looks
> like I can't synchronize clients with different languages?!
>
> I've found out that I could specify the kolab folder in
> ~/.kde4/share/config/kresources/kolab, but this does not prevent
> kmail from creating subfolders in my inbox. So is there any
> solution?? I can't imaging what's the reason for this inflexible
> behavior.

The reason for this behavior is that this is exactly what Outlook
expects. Kolab was specifically designed to work as a drop-in
replacement for Exchange.

Of course, this does not explain why the default behavior cannot be
changed. My guess is that making it flexible didn't fit into the
timeplan and since it isn't needed for Kolab it was dropped from the
feature list. Adding more flexibility for the groupware configuration
will have to be added by the community.

This is the downside of contributions by commercial entities. OTOH,
knowing the extremely scarce development resources in KDE PIM, without
the contributions of the Kolab Konsortium there wouldn't be a KDE
groupware client like Kontact.