[kdepim-users] Re: akonadi on low-end systems

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Wed Dec 1 16:22:07 GMT 2010

Am Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2010, um 00:49:29 schrieb Николай Шафоростов:
> Hi all. I'm a netbook user, and I'm worrying about KDE becoming
> resource-hungry:
>
> I run kubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.5 (plasma-netbook) on acer with a harddrive
> and 1 gb ram, and see that mysqld-akonadi and akonadi_* processes are
> always running and are taking at least 40 megs of RAM constantly. e.g.
> virt:218m  res:26m shr:2 mysqld-akonadi (via top)
>
> i don't use any of kdepim apps

in that case, you should be able to get along without akonadi running at all,
as kdepim apps are ATM the the only ones which use/rely on akonadi.
this will change in the future, however.
btw., I'm also running kde 4.5.3 on my kubuntu desktop, and noticed that
akonadi is now started automatically upon login.
in former versions, this was not the case: akonadi was only started by the
first app that requires it, e.g. kontact.

> , and can get along without holiday marks in
> calendar i see after clickng on the clock in the panel (if that's
> akonadi-related).
>
> I also have another netbook with a 8gb solid-state drive and 512 mb ram
> which runs debian with KDE 4.4 and I'm afraid to think how it would
> perform if i updated to a newer KDE there.

probably, bad :)
ok, I also have an antique eeepc701, which is not really made for kde4, I
guess ;-)
so I still run kde3.5 there...

werner