[kdepim-users] Archiving emails to external media

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Wed Aug 18 17:37:28 BST 2010

[ Comments below, in line ]

On Wednesday 18 August 2010 at 11:44 am, Llewellyn Lee penned
about "[kdepim-users] Archiving emails to external media"

> Hi All,
> 		Thanks to Pablo and Art and dil23 for interest in my problem.
> It seems to me there is no way to do this YET.

Hi Llewellyn,

Ah, I understand what you're after.  I believe it's doable but I'm not
sure what happens if a file is missing.  :)

Suppose you have a USB thumbdrive you'd like your archived e-mail to
reside upon.

First, shutdown KMail.  Next, find the folder(s) you'd like to
archive - see my other e-mail.  Next `mv' these files to the USB
thumbdrive.  Next, create symlink's to these files in your $HOME to
the USB device.

You can now archive and the files end up on the USB device.

When you're done, shutdown KMail, remove the USB thumbdrive and here's
where the experiement comes in, see what happens if you start KMail
with the symlink's in place.  Does it complain because it can't find
the files?  Does it continue?

If KMail cannot continue, remove the symlink's and see if KMail
re-creates the folders.  If KMail needs to have the folders, you could
initiallyl create the folders, save them somewhere and always restore
them manually when you're done archiving.

I hope the above makes sense.

Cheers,
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926      Fax:   760.860.5225 (US)