[kdepim-users] archiving emails

Llewellyn Lee 0834786881 at mtnloaded.co.za
Wed Aug 25 17:47:33 BST 2010

Hi all,
		I have to thank Anne Wilson for input and suggestions
However her ideas do not remove the very basic reasons for me wanting to have
Kmail have an archive facility built into it.

1) I do not want to run any extra kind of computer. If it was the place where
all my mails were kept I would still have to back it up . My point about
backing up all those mails of yester year  over and over remains valid. A
removeable media back up ( I could have 2 copies) on file stops doing the
same thing over and over.

2) A network ? I am a one person enterprise and  a network can actually not
improve My productivity. My one PC running Suse Linux gives me huge
productivity benefits without complexity or the need for an IT guru.

3)  Removeable media like cd or dvd is prefered because  a second copy cheaply
and conveniently  assures the security and safety of my data. I would thus
rather use these than use a removeable type hard drive.

4) As to copying mails to CD directly . That cannot at the moment be done from
inside KMail or Kontact. As I soon discovered the mails hide in a directory
with funny file numbers.
		WORSE STILL
When I wanted to transfer all my mails to my new PC, I used K3B and copied
them to CD and then tried copying the contents of that Cd back into the
directory with the same name and path on my new system.
	WELL GUES WHAT
having copied them into the directory I opened Kmail and Joy of Joys there
they all were in the kmail display  BUT that joy was very very short lived.
Click on one hoping to veiw it and it disappears from the directory and cannot
be opened. I had a long battle with this one and wont go into more long
winded story here.
		Because Kmail does not have an export facility for its own files and Kmail
does not facilitate copy of emails to anywhere outside Kmail itself.
Transfering mail files is and will remain a nightmare untill Kmail has
an "Archive to <path>" or copy to <path> facility.
	I ended up with all that mail converted to MBOX files, lost all
the  "Signature validity information " in the process.

I want to archive Kmail files just as they are fully compatible with Kmail as
I use it and be able to put that archive in a drive and have Kmail show its
content to me . Please someone help do this thing. Surely it can be provided
as an add on to Kmail.

Regards
Llewellyn

dangerous content by Pinpoint, and is