[kdepim-users] New computer

Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich gerhard.froehlich at ecaroh.de
Sun Aug 15 14:31:29 BST 2010

Hello!

I do not want to cite all items below. But the thread is perfectly for
my fear what will happen in some months when Debian squeeze will become
stable.

I use to update my Debian every time testing becomes stable. I never
cared about "migration" of data. I do backups regulary, therefore i
can "risk" something. From KDE 1 to KDE 3.5.10 there has never been a
hassle with upgrading nor with copying my home directory to a new
computer.

When testing Kubuntu 10.04. with KDE 4.4. and Kontact i ran into several
problems with Akonadi. Later it turned out that SeLinux was the
problem. And, moreover, in this mailing list there were disscussions
about runing Akonadi "Database" from NFS Mounts or "hot syncing" while
Akonadi is running. After that (and the awfull KDE 4 Desktop) i
discarded the Experiment and stayed with Lenny and KDE 3.5.10.

What's my problem? What will happen, if I have to move from Kontact
1.2.9 / KDE 3.5.10 to KDE 4.4.x (don'nt know Kontact version) when
squeeze will become stable?

Is there anybody out there who went that way?

* Will the update be seemless and leave/import my old settings?
* And moreover, will i still be able to use Kontact (with Akonadi)
  over my NFS Mount (I got a home server with several clients importing
  the /home dirs).
* Historical there has never been a problem to sync data between
  different computers. Akonadi - as noticed in this thread - can not
  be synced simply and need a special application who does the job.
  This remembers me of MS-Office, where a "assistant" cares for
  migrating data from pc to pc. If this really happens, KDE will
  become more and more Windows like. Is the solution to adress that
  problem to sync/copy the data while i am not logged in? Duhh...
  How many applications will come in the GNU/Linux World, that want
  to be "shut down" before backed up or synced? Duhh... okay, put
  it all in one database ... ah, didn't Microsoft plan a new filesystem
  for Windows Vista/7 which has no files and folders??

If we really want to go this way, i think we have to redesign/reconsider
the whole way Unix/Linux stores user data and how the data can be
acessed! Over decades the Unix principles of folders, files and pure
Textfiles where rock stable. I am very frightend about the future!

As mentioned, some things are historical from unix. Like my NFS and a
seemless upgrade path which _must_ work after an upgrade from 3 to 4.

But not to be able to sync or backup without considering dozens of
applications who want to be handled special will turn out to become a
nightmare!

Ah, one more point: I used to sync "some data" via unison to an usb
stick, from there to my work notebook and later back to my private pc
and home server. This will be a problem to in future too? Or?

Any hints or user experiences? Thanks for your comments.

Ecaroh

PS: Please, do not misunderstand me. I am with KDE since 1.x in 2000,
with kmail, korganizer and all that stuff nearly since their first
release. I love this software. But i am really concerned about the
future.

Am Sonntag 15 August 2010 schrieb ianseeks:
> On Sunday 15 August 2010 12:10:31 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
good.

[...]