[kdepim-users] New computer

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Aug 15 12:10:31 BST 2010

On Sunday 15 August 2010, ianseeks wrote:
> On Saturday 14 August 2010 22:07:20 Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > Yes, i think this is a big problem that goes wider than kontact.
> > > There seems to be no standard that all the apps should follow
> > > where data and config files reside.  They all seem to make it up
> > > as they go along.
> >
> > No. They don't.
> >
> > For KDE applications this is pretty much standardized:
> > - settings are stored in ~/.kde/share/config
> > - data is stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/<appname>
>
> Except kmail is ~/Mail in my home directory

Many years ago KMail was using ~/Mail. For new KMail setups this has
already been changed long ago to ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail.

> and the home directory is littered with "." files.

Historical reasons. In the stone age of Unix user specific configuration
was stored directly in '.' files in the home directory.

> Its all a matter of making things
> self-explanatory e.g. why is the data directory
> "~/.kde/share/apps/<appname>" not called "~/.kde/data/<appname>"

Historical reasons.

> All "." files should be under a directory called ".config" (or
> similar)

And that's exactly what newer applications do. Old applications cannot
simply move their '.' files from the home directory to .config because
this would break many installations relying on the current location.

> Home directories should not be littered with files, it
> looks like the very old MSDOS days where people should file in the
> route directory until it filled up.

Well, Unix predates MS DOS. ;-)

> > It gets a bit more complicated because of background components
> > used by many KDE applications, e.g. kabc (the old KDE service for
> > accessing address books) or Nepomuk.
>
> Yes, thats why its got to be rationalised to make it more user
> friendly and self explanatory.  Its probably a task for for a
> Usability team to create a simple template structure that all KDE
> programs should follow and not get into the main stream until the
> adhere to the standard.

I disagree. Regardless how we structure the directory layout it will
never be user friendly. Why? Because messing around with files and
folders is no user friendly. Consequently, there's no way on earth to
make it user friendly by creating "a simple template structure that all
KDE programs should follow". (BTW, it wouldn't help a bit if just KDE
applications follow it.)

A user friendly solution is a simple migration assistant which takes
care of all the details. The user should not have to care for the
details.

> > And then there is Akonadi which is not a KDE background component.
> > Therefore Akonadi uses the standard locations for non-KDE
> > components, i.e.
> > ~/.config/akonadi - for settings
> > ~/.local/share/akonadi - for data
>
> I understand that Akonadi is not a KDE component but as it is being
> integrated into main KDE programs and is now by association, an
> absolute KDE app dependency as certain apps will not run without it.
> In my opinion, it should follow the KDE config and data structures.

I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. Akonadi aims at being used not
only by KDE but also by Gnome, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, Firefox, etc. I
guess this makes clear why putting Akonadi's settings and data below
~/.kde makes absolutely no sense.

> > So, the problem is not that we use random locations for settings
> > and data (they are not random). The problem is that you need to
> > know which background components are relevant for Kontact.
>
> Thats more or less my point.  They may not be random to a developer
> but as a user i shouldn't need to know this sort of developers
> detail.

Exactly my point.

> I should just be able to "cp/rsync" a single directory for
> the whole of kontact or if i want just to back up kmail then its
> "cp/rsync" "kontact_dir/kmail" - i shouldnt care if the data is
> stored in old or new formats

This is where you are wrong. It does not have to be easy for people like
you who mess around with files and folders via cp or rsync or some
graphical file manager. Akonadi uses a database. You cannot simply cp or
rsync the database's files without shutting down Akonadi before doing
so. This means if you want to mess around directly with the files and
folders then you need to know exactly what you are doing. It is so
error-prone that anybody except for experts should be discouraged from
doing so.

> I hope you see this as constructive criticism and not an attack on
> KDE. Obviously a comprehensive backup app would help.

I do, but I don't think your ideas go into the right direction. The
internal setup of modern applications is much too complicated for normal
users to deal with. That's a fact. There's nothing one can do about
this. Therefore the internal setup should be hidden from normal users as
far as possible and they should never have to deal with it.