[kdepim-users] KMail - Replying in HTML

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Aug 4 19:03:02 BST 2010

On Wednesday 04 August 2010, John Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 03:38:08 am Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Tuesday 03 August 2010, Anoop wrote:

> > > With this I can compose an email in HTML. But say if I received
> > > an email in HTML and hit reply. Currently the reply mail is
> > > converted to plain text. Is there a way to preserve the HTML?
> >
> > No. I am not aware of anybody working on making this possible. So,
> > as far as I can tell, KMail 2.0 will not support this. Moreover,
> > it's not very likely KMail will ever fully support this as no
> > KMail core developer is interested in HTML messages.
>
> Great shame.
> Marks KMail as a snobby, only-techies-welcome client.
> Why this groupthink "HTML is evil" is still around is a mystery.
> I did think opensource was about choice - but not in some areas it
> seems. Still, I suppose we should be thankful we have basic HTML -
> and spell-checkers.

Open Source is about choice. With respect to the issue at hand you have
multiple choices:
- Live with it.
- Implement the feature. This you can only do with Open Source.
- Pay somebody to implement the feature.
- Use another mail client. Nobody forces you to stay with KMail if it
doesn't suit your needs.

As you can see you have many choices. In particular, you have choices
you do not have with proprietary closed source software.

BTW, you are not the only person who has a choice. The developers also
have a choice. They can work on whatever _they_ like (at least if they
work on KMail in their spare time).

So, it's all about choice!