[kdepim-users] No interest was Re: KMail - Replying in HTML

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Aug 11 20:39:01 BST 2010

On Wednesday 11 August 2010, John Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:23:59 am Pastor JW wrote:
> > > The `trial balloon' didn't get off the ground.  :)  There doesn't
> > > seem to be sufficient interest to fund `KMail - Repling in HTML'
> > >
> > > Aside from the handful of people who posted here, I heard nothing
> > > on `opensuse-kde'  I suppose I can update the previous
> > > enhancement with the request for pledges but at this point, I'll
> > > call it dead.
> >
> > I suspect you'll get much more support in this position!  Most
> > people are not to fond of their tools being ruined by misuse,
> > ...yes, it IS possible to pry a door open with a screwdriver but
> > the screwdriver was designed to turn screws rather than what a
> > prybar was designed to do.  It is just the right tool for the job
> > concept of a craftsman that one appreciates.
>
> Regrettable - and an example of what I was said originally (with a
> little editing for sensitivities):
>
> "Great shame.
> Marks KMail as an elitist, only-techies-welcome client.
> Why this groupthink "HTML is evil" is still around is a mystery.
> I did think opensource was about choice - but not in some areas it
> seems. Still, I suppose we should be thankful we have basic HTML -
> and spell-checkers."
>
> And no, I am not demanding anything - just making a comment.
> And no, I don't use HTML mail at all (well probably about as much as
> those that claim they delete important stuff unread). I just think
> the facility should be there for those that don't have a choice.
>
> Like many others (who don't post at all) -  when we spot an email
> client that is not so restricted, and is at least as elegant and
> integrated into its environment as KMail, we will move on:
> exercising choice - as I've been advised to do by many on this list.
> We have moved on before, and we will move on again.  That's not a
> aggressive statement, it's a fact of software life.

Actually, it's a fact of life in general. It's in no way restricted to
software.

> And many thanks
> to Pablo, Richard and others for looking for solutions to making
> KMail (and by extension KDE) more appealing to a wider community.
> Unfortunately it seems - good product, wrong mindset - not an
> unusual combination.

"wrong mindset"?

I'm terribly sorry that I and other developers choose to spend our
_spare_ time doing what we want and not what others want. Yeah, we are
so selfish. We only think about ourselves. I guess that's why some of us
literally spend years of their lives contributing to Free Software
projects without getting anything back.

"wrong mindset"?

Regards