[kdepim-users] Kmail/Kontact slows to a crawl during long VNC sessions?
techwritebos at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 16:35:16 BST 2010
I have noticed a problem that I thought was not Kontact related but which now, having noticed this for years, think perhaps it IS something to do with Kontact/Kmail...when running over a VNC session, it works fine for 30 minutes or so and then slows to a point where each letter takes seconds, minutes even, to appear. My process is thus:
1. Start Putty and TightVNC on local windows machine (skip to 2 if using linux locally)
2. ssh to my home server (myserver.mydomain.net).
3. Connect to localhost (which tunnels to the VNC server running on home machine)
4. From the VNC session, I open a terminal and type "ssh -X myserver kontact"
5. I wait a second, Kontact opens up.
For a few minutes or a few emails...sometimes 1-5 minutes and sometimes 20 or more...everything is fine. Then quite rapidly the response drops to a lag that makes it impossible to work well.
I am not sure this is actually connected to Kontact but I noticed just recently that when I leave the VNC session running but close Kontact after each time I send or read email, that the problem appears to go away unless I am reading/sending email for a long time.
Other applications seem to work just fine too. I am posting this as a separate issue because I don't think it is connected to Akonadi...it has occurred for years on previous versions of Kmail.
Many thanks for help/thoughts/suggestions!
KDE PIM users mailing list
kdepim-users at kde.org
More information about the kdepim-users