[kdepim-users] next unread mesage, newest or oldest?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Apr 10 15:42:29 BST 2010

On Saturday 10 April 2010, Dj YB wrote:
> hello,
> it seems like "next unread message" is looking for the next unread
> message from top to bottom of the mails list.
> however the mails are not necessarily ordered by ascending date from
> top to bottom therefore we don't get the next unread message as in
> the first to arrive that we didn't read... (I hope that wasn't too
> confusing).
> the problem arises for me in the inbox folder where the newest
> messages are in the top and "next unread.." is starting from the top
> resulting in reading the new mails before the old ones.

Hmm, if you use threading then I don't understand where the problem is.
With threading the messages in the thread are sorted "older messages
first" so that "next unread message" does exactly the right thing.

Or is the problem that newer threads are read before older threads? Is
this really a problem? Usually, different threads are unrelated so it
shouldn't really matter in which order you read them.

> I think a way to "fix" (as I am not sure what was the original goal)
> this is to look by thread date (if there is such a thing)...

I don't think making "next unread message" jump seemingly randomly from
message to message would be very user friendly.

> thanks for your attention, this should probably was better sent to
> the kde-pim list, though many are subscribed in both.

I think it's better to discuss something like this with other users,
i.e. on this mailing list. Developers (like me) often have very
different needs and workflows than other "normal" users.

Another place for discussing ideas is KDE Brainstorm:
http://forum.kde.org/kde-brainstorm-f-83.html