[kdepim-users] kmail 1.13.1 address book problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 17 13:20:47 BST 2010

On Saturday 17 April 2010 01:15:47 Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a bit of trouble with kmail in F11 a couple of months ago and mostly
> that has been cleared up. I tried at one point to get access to my address
> book by creating a new address book (addressbook2) and importing my
> addresses into it. That worked ok and gives me basic functionality, but
> now, when I right click on an address I can addit to the address book, but
> need to specify addressbook2. I don't really want to have two address
> books and would like to be able to just right click on "add to address
> book" and have the rest take place automagically. Can someone suggest what
> I should do here?

As long as you are sure that you don't have any addresses in the one you want
to delete that should first be copied to addressbook2, you can get rid of one
of them.  Check in Akonadi configuration - if they are both registered as
akonadi-controlled, I think you should first remove that control - just clear
the path, I would think.  After that you should be able to just delete the old
one.

Personally, I'd check its path in Dolphin first.  If there's any convenient
way you can first make a backup, do so.

OTOH, maybe a better solution, at least for now, is to change the Default
addressbook, as described in
http://userbase.kde.org/KAddressBook#Enabling_Resources.  Anything you add
from kmail addresses should then go there.

> Also, in the same context, I used to be able to click on an address that
> was already in my address book and I'd have an option to "open in address
> book." Is that gone, or is it an artifact of my having two address books?

Hmm - not sure why you don't have it, since I do.  Of course if the address is
not in the default addressbook you won't see it.  That's probably the
explanation.

> And finally, is there a setting to make kmail harvetst addresses in sent
> mail so they get added automatically to the address book if they aren't
> already there?

No, it can't harvest them automatically.  As you already know, you can
manually add them with the right-click.

> And if it makes any difference I use the gnome desktop.

As far as I know, it doesn't make any difference at all.  Throughout I've
assumed that you are up to date, and are using an Akonadi-controlled
addressbook.  If you are not, then just back up the old addressbook and delete
it.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group