[kdepim-users] Imap gets "stuck"

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Apr 18 11:51:00 BST 2010

Am Samstag 17 April 2010 schrieb John Aldrich:

> > > Apparently KMail has a problem to reconnect. It seems it doesn't
> > > realize that the connection has been reestablished. :-(
> >
> > That's odd, because my imap connection checks the server every 5
> > minutes, and it has no problem re-connecting if I reboot the server.
>
> I don't think it's that the internet connection goes down -- I have a
> router which is supposed to keep my connection "up" all the time. I
> won't swear it's up 100% of the time, but I know I can leave home for
> work and after driving an hour and spending time on other things, I
> can connect back to my Fedora 11 box at home over SSH and access it
> with no problems. So, if my internet connection goes down it takes
> longer than about 90 minutes. Not to mention, during the week, I never
> shut down my SSH tunnel back to my Linux box, so the connection is
> always "up."
>
> So, long story short, my problem does not seem to be related to the
> internet connection.  My check there *was* set to check every 30
> minutes. I've dropped it down to every 5. Maybe that'll be enough.
> Thanks, Anne.

Confirmed. I have this with out Zimbra Collaberation Suite 6.0 - 6.0.6
currently - IMAP server and with Dovecot before on my Debian Lenny KDE
3.5.9/10 workstation in our company network. I bet the connection is up at
99,99% of the time, since its our local network running with 1GBit
minimum. And but are insanely fast IMAP servers at least told from my
subjective impression. Zimbra maybe even more so than Dovecot.

I think I will try with KMail on my notebook from the training center
where I hold a Linux training this week. Since thats the latest KMail from
4.4.2.

I don't agree with Anne that its the same as not responding to key
presses. Kontact / KMail does respond to key presses here. Its justs that
when I select an IMAP folder KMail doesn't come around displaying its
content for ages. When I restart KMail the contents are shown almost
immediately.

I think it might have to do with KMail getting stuck in other IMAP
transactions. It usually happens that KMail does not respond to IMAP stuff
when I tried to show a large folder like linux-kernel-ml with 30000 to
40000 mails and then want to do something else. IMHO KMail should cancel
getting headers of that 30000 to 40000 or at least suspend it, when I
already moved somewhere else. It should always put its focus on where I am
in the GUI and handle other stuff with lower priority. It also happens when
I move some mails into a folder with lots of mails, KMail often rereads
its IMAP index then - I don't know why actually.

However, I am not sure whether it makes sense to report anything in KDE
bugzilla, cause KMail from KDE 4.5 hopefully uses Akonadi which should
solve a lot of these problems.

It still might make sense to add a few bug reports - if not already there
- for the different kinds of observed behavior and set them to waiting for
KDE 4.5 if thats possible.

What do you think?

Ciao,