[kdepim-users] Problem with INBOX - a clue?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Sep 25 14:37:49 BST 2009

On Friday 25 September 2009 14:20:51 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 25 September 2009 13:01:57 you wrote:
> > On fredag 25 september 2009 13:02:30 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > One user has a problem with INBOX (on a local IMAP server).  All
> > > subfolders work fine.  I have removed index files, but the problem
> > > persists.  The error message says
> > >
> > > Error while querying the server status.  Unable to open folder INBOX.
> > > The server replied: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for
> > > more information.
> > >
> > > There's nothing in /var/log/maillog.  Which log should I be reading?
> >
> > Three short questions:
> > 1. What OS?
> > 2. Which IMAP-server
> > 3. Which syslog-server?
> >

> > Usually courier, cyrus or dovecot for IMAP. I use courier and there it is
> > courierlogger that handles the logs. Courierlogger logs to syslog. My
> >  syslog is syslog-ng and the options is normally in
> >  /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf. I've got:
> >
> > destination mail { file("/var/log/mail"); };
> >
> > So for me it's /var/log/mail. But it is also up to what OS you're using
> > to define where the syslog should go.
>
> Just one thing I should mention.  I always set up my users with the same
> username and UID as previously held.  David is always 501 (Mandriva always
> used to start users at 500, and I've maintained the list of UIDs for 7
>  years or more).  When I looked at the perms for David's Inbox on the
>  server it was owned 501:VBoxusers.  This is crazy, and I've no idea where
>  that came from. On the server I changed ownership recursively to
>  david:david.  Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the issue.  I'm just
>  hoping that it rings a bell with someone, though.

Continuing to study logs, I came across this in the dovecot log:

 dovecot: Sep 05 13:25:10 Error: imap-login: Time just moved backwards by 1
seconds. I'll sleep now until we're back in present.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards
dovecot: Sep 13 08:53:04 Error: IMAP(david):
unlink(/home/david/Maildir/cur/cur:2,ST) failed: Is a directory

Whatever is causing this, it happened long before I did the new install (it
shows how infrequently he checks his mail, too).  There are many repetitions
of that last entry during yesterday and today, as I've tried to solve the
problem.

The time error happened three times, closely timed together.  Could they be
related to the problem?  The wiki page talks about reliance on timestamps.
The server does run ntpd, but it doesn't sound as though that's a suspect.  To
the best of my knowledge ntpdate has never been used.

Anne