[kdepim-users] Using Google Calendar in kdepim

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Thu Sep 17 01:52:29 BST 2009

Martin wrote:

> Many thanks for trying to help (and your English is great!). Unfortunately, I
> don't know what to do next. How do I add the akonadi plugin? I looked at the
> web address you provided but couldn't find any information there to help me. If
> you could offer any further help, that would be great, thanks.

Martin,

I've recently worked this out (last weekend). I have my gcal itmes
showing up in korganizer but I've not yet tried to create a new event.

1) Verify you have the necessary packages installed.  I'm running on
Ubuntu Jaunty and I had to get the necessary packages from Karmic.

I was already running the backport of 4.3.1 so I only needed these 2
packages:

libgcal
akonadi-kde-resource-googledata

I downloaded them and then hand installed them with dpkg -i.

I'm not sure but I think I remember needeing to restart KDE after I
installed the packages to make the resource show up.

2) Look at your akonadi config and make sure its working correctly.

In system settings there is a configuration for Akonadi make sure that
your Akonadi server is running and does not report errors.

3) Load up Kontact and in the calendar box either right click and "add
resource" or press the green cross.  You will get a list of resources
that kontact can use.  One of those resources will say 'Akonadi
(Provided access to calendars stored in Akonadi calendar folders)'

Select the Akonadi resource. A new dialog will appear with resource
selections.  Click on the 'Manage Calendar Sources' Another dialog will
pop up showing the list of resources you have currently selected.  Click
on 'Add.'

Yet another dialog will appear.  This one finally lets you choose the
Akonadi resources.  There should be 2 of them one for Google Calendar
and one for Google Contacts. Select them and then config your user name
and password.

I noticed that they show up as akonadi_gcal_resource_0 annd
akonadi_gcal_resource_1 so its difficult to figure out which one is which.

Then close all the dialogs back to the add calendar.  Now there should
an entry for akonadi resource and 2 listings below that for the 2 google
resources.  Enable both of them and then you should be able to sync with
gmail.

Hope this helps.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>