[kdepim-users] POP filters in Kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Sep 26 18:47:13 BST 2009

On Saturday 26 September 2009, Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 18:34:23 on Saturday Saturday 26 September 2009, Ingo Klöcker
>
> <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 September 2009, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > > I have set a POP filter in my Kmail (v 1.9.10, under KDE v3.5.10)
> > > to catch mail from two especially annoying sources of spam that I
> > > want to keep out of even the trash folder: "Any mail From
> > > <contains given address> --> Delete from server".
> > >
> > > This doesn't work, and mail from those addresses are still being
> > > deposited in the trash folder (courtesy of another, non-POP,
> > > filter).
> > >
> > > Do POP filters work, or is this a feature that has not been fully
> > > implemented?
> >
> > POP filters should work (and they did work in the past).
> >
> > > If this should work, why doesn't it? what am I doing wrong?
> >
> > I suggest to have a look at the filter log (via Tools->Filter Log
> > Viewer). Please note, that I'm not sure whether POP filters are
> > also logged.
>
> The viewer comes up, but its data window is blank.
>
> I know that ordinary filters are working, because I can see the
> results -- they do deposit incoming mail in the folders as directed
> by the filters. But if the viewer doesn't see a log, apparently no
> log is being kept.

Yes, the log is not stored. After opening the viewer you have to enable
logging by checking "Log filter activities". Now all filter activity
will be logged as long as KMail is running even if you close the filter
log viewer.

To test the POP filter problem you can for example redirect one of those
spam messages to your POP account (Message->Forward->Redirect...) and
then check your POP account. Alternatively, simply send yourself a test
message with the address of the spammer as From address. (You can edit
the From address in the composer after you enable the From field in the
View menu.)