[kdepim-users] What is the status of KPilot?

George Bourozikas george at bourozikas.net
Mon Sep 14 23:35:48 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 08:04 +1000, djmills at netspace.net.au wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> I've suffered almost exactly the same history with my Treo 650 which I
> posted to this list a few weeks ago.  I got no response.  If you get
> some resolution that is not to the list could you please tell me.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

Hi David,

I will be happy to forward whatever I find out to both you and the list.

To be honest, though, I am rethinking the whole model.  It seems to me
that the days of syncing between PDA's and standalone workstations are
numbered.  In addition, the PalmOS is now more or less dead.  I am
looking to migrate to an Android phone and GMail.  The pros, as I see
them:

-- Desktop/machine independence.

-- Syncing is no longer an issue.

-- Combined with Google Gears you are not bound by connectivity.

The cons:

-- GMail doesn't offer anything like the rich Kontact interface, but
   that's bound to improve.  In addition, if I can't wean myself from
   Kontact, it is much more likely that people will hack akonadi-google
   than KPilot (see "defunct" above).

-- Backup is cumbersome, though akonadi-google almost works and should
   become workable soon.

Or so I think...

--george

P.S. This is not meant to reflect on the developers of KPilot; they have
always been friendly and helpful; on many occasions they have saved the
day for me.  Thank you, guys.