[kdepim-users] Clicking on new mail causes Index problem

r bartlett techwritebos at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 16 15:28:44 BST 2009

Many thanks to Anne and Ingo and others for the earlier upgrade suggestions, file lists, and so on.  I am now running Fedora 11 with KDE and Kontact, and have a strange problem occurring in one of my folders:  Each time I click on a New (Unread) message, the act of clicking corrupts the index data and the file timestamp becomes "Unknown."  Sometimes, but not always, this includes corruption of the entire message, and it will become blank:  empty sender, empty message, empty timestamp.

If that wasn't weird enough, I've found that some of the messages, the ones with "Unknown" only in the timestamp, come back (forgive the expression) to life when I click on them -- with a proper timestamp again.

I have tried removing the .index, .index.ids, and .index.sorted (most of my files do not have this last one, it does not seem to be generated) and the problem reoccurs.

It was happening in all my folders but now is limited to the one folder that has most of my email.  About 10 years of emails, some 40,000 messages.  If there were a way to archive this without losing easy access via searches I would cut down the size, but I often need to go back to emails that are very, very old...the search and sorting features are very very useful.

Many thanks as always for the help.  I apologize for my often improperly formatted posts, too.  I will try to trim them and format them correctly but still have a lot to learn!