[kdepim-users] Clicking on new mail causes Index problem

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Oct 17 22:04:07 BST 2009

On Friday 16 October 2009, r bartlett wrote:
> >Are the folders mbox or maildir?  Maildir is better speedwise, but
> > also if something gets corrupted the rest are not at risk.
>
> So maildir is the best option both for speed

This depends. For most tasks maildir should be faster than mbox. One
exception is probably copying a whole folder since copying lots of
small files (as with maildir) is usually slower than copying one big
file (as with mbox). Also many file systems (in their default
configuration) have performance problems with folders containing tens
of thousands of files. So maildir folders with tens of thousands of
messages might be slow due to suboptimal configuration of the file
system. If you are using ext3 then dir_index should be used. (See for
example
http://serverfault.com/questions/43133/filesystem-large-number-of-files-in-a-single-directory)

> and for corrupt-proof-ness?

Yes.

Another advantage is the possibility of incremental backups. With
maildir this is easy since only files corresponding to messages that
were added to the folder after the last backup need to be copied. With
mbox incremental backups are not really possible because whenever a
single message is added to an mbox folder the whole big mbox file will
have to be copied again (unless we are dealing with really
sophisticated backup software).