[kdepim-users] IMAP - Include this folder in mail checks.

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Oct 26 21:24:16 GMT 2009

On Monday 26 October 2009, Karl Hiramoto wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using kmail 1.12.2 in kde 4.3.2 on gentoo linux.     I have
> around 100 with on average 1000 to 5000 messages per folder.   IMAP
> folders and right clicking on the "properties" of every folder to not
> "Include this folder in mail checks"  is extremely tedious.
>
> Is there some place in the akonadi db i could modify,  or a config
> file i could write a quick script for to disable all of these?

~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc

Look for the [Folder ...] sections. Set the setting
IgnoreNewMail=true
to not "Include this folder in mail checks"

> A feature request would be to leave this off by default, as
> thunderbird and outlook do.

Please use bugs.kde.org (or Help->Report Bug...) for feature requests.

> Another feature request, if you change a folder that has sub-folders
> then you should have the option to change the options on all
> sub-folders.

See above.

> My  IMAP server is in california (dreamhost) and i'm in europe so i
> have a 200 to 300 ms ping, and with lots of folders and messages
> synchronizing takes forever.   With thunderbird or outlook it doesn't
> download the folder headers untill you click on the folder, then
> downloads the message when you click on the message.  Then it's
> cached for the next use.
>

> It seems just by looking at kmail UI that it checks each folder each
> time and downloads the message list for the folder  I would think
> that with IMAP RFC3501  UIDVALIDITY field,  If the UIDVALIDITY for
> the mailbox is the same, there is no need to download the message
> list again.

All of this (in particular the caching) will be very much improved once
KMail has been ported to our next backend Akonadi (which will be
finished for KDE 4.5 or KDE 4.6).

If caching everything locally is an option for you then try using a
disconnected IMAP account.