[kdepim-users] Clicking on new mail causes Index problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 17 17:52:52 BST 2009

On Saturday 17 October 2009 14:53:17 you wrote:
> >On Friday 16 October 2009 21:15:41 Pablo Sanchez wrote:
> >> So unlike Anne's experience, I find kmail to be very robust moving
> >> huge chunks around.
> >
> >Note that I did say that in the past I had found it necessary to limit the
> >number.  I've had no problems for some time now, but can't swear as to how
> >big a chunk I've moved recently.  At the time I had problems I resolved it
> > by taking a known smaller number, say 50, then increasing it for each
> > move until I found the number that was uncomfortable for kmail to handle.

Hi :-)  I can't address you by name - you never told us - so you'll have to
settle for just 'hi!' :-)

> Well, I think I may have solved (albeit the roundabout way) the problem:  I
>  wiped out the .kde directory entirely and started over, using Kmail's
>  "Import" feature instead of just copying the directories that were
>  described in the (my post a few weeks ago) "what files should I backup?"
>  post.  Anne, you made a very nice little page in the userbase about it.
>  However, I tried initially to just copy over the entire .kde directory.
>
> So I think most of the issues were caused by small, system specific
>  problems.

Could well be.  I've often read of people copying over the whole of .kde and
being happy with it, but I've always preferred to back it up, let the system
create a new one, then just copy in the files that I really needed.

> You were also right (I think) about the Mbox directory being the one that
>  was corrupt.  Curiously, I seem to have had an Mbox directory _inside_ the
>  folder structure of the Maildirs.  Not sure how I managed to do that,

Some older versions did default to mbox, I think, but it's more likely that
you accidentally got that option set on the config page.

>  but
>  if I'm understanding the description right, Maildirs appear in Kmail as
>  separate folders inside the Local Folders file and Maildir folders are
>  part of a connected tree?

Yes, more or less.  For every folder, say Inbox > Kde-pim you get subfolders
for /cur /new and /tmp.  It appears that two of these never get used, but in
fact I think they are used during the download process, though I can't prove
it.  Anyway, the mail will always end up in /cur.

If you create filters for incoming mail to move messages to an appropriate
folder, it will sort all that out for itself.

> In any case, Importing was able to get some (curiously, not all) of my
>  folders and subfolders, as well as the big wonking Mbox directory.

All may not be lost, even for those.  If you like you could give me more
details of what you haven't yet managed to recover, and we can try to work out
a strategy.  It surprising how much can be done ;-)  but it takes time.

> Alas, the "Replied to", "Forwarded" and so on info it totally gone, it
>  appears.

In all but recent versions I believe they were stored separate to the
messages.  I read my mail from a local imap server, so you'd think that I
would be seeing the same thing, whether on the netbook, this laptop, or the
server box itself.  In fact I do see them all the same now, but until recently
I only saw the flags on the box where I had set them.  I think this changed
about a year ago.

>  And the suggestion to make a filter is great but wouldn't work
>  for whole directories where it's been years and I don't know if I replied
>  to it or didn't.  (Probably did, but there's always that random email
>  where you're like "I should have replied months ago!!!").  It's perfect
>  for once in a while though, when I need to mark something replied.

You may have to settle for that on old messages. New messages, though, should
add the flag automatically.  See the .png attached.

> Lastly, my addressbook and calendar info aren't there.  Just blank.  I
>  thought I copied over the "korganizerrc" file and so on...are there other
>  files that need to be copied too...data files?

Exactly.  Those are the config files.  Now you want
~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf (any others like std.vcf_1 are backup files, so
it may be worth taking them too) and ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics.
The organizer file, by the way, doesn't make backups, so you may feel it worth
your while setting up a cron job to back it up.  I'll help you with that
later, if you wish.

> As always, many thanks!

No problem.  Always happy to help those who want to learn ;-)

Anne