[kdepim-users] Kmail and Maildir & Local Folder

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Oct 27 19:02:10 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 18:15:25 Christian Mikovits wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've got a few questions about Kmail's handling of Maildirs and
>  Localfolders First off, I;ve used ClawsMail, but since I moved to kde4
>  now. I wan't to use Kmail instead.
>
> With Claws Mail it was possible to just point to a local Maildir and
> Claws had it in its view. (I hope you understand what I mean)
> Is it possible to do the same thing with Kmail. I really don't want to
> have the Mails copied from my ~/.Maildir to
> /kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail. Is it really necessary to do that? And if
> so, why?
>
> Next thing I tried is to directly sync the Mails to .kde4/blabla using
> offlineimap instead to ~/.Maildir. Works great, but Kmail doesn't
> realize if there are new Mails in the Folder until i click onto a
> Folder.
>
> Please tell me there's a possibility to use just a plain Maildir
> without having Mails copied, moved, deleted, whatever,

Indeed you can - it's what I use all the time.  Dovecot puts my mail into
Maildir on the IMAP server and I simply
point kmail to the local address of the IMAP server.  You shouldn't need to
copy or move any mail.

If you give us more details of your setup we may be able to spot what's gone
wrong.

Anne