[kdepim-users] attachments in KMail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Nov 11 22:19:08 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 November 2009, Louis Hinman wrote:
> I installed Open Office 3.1, which opens MS Word documents as
> expected.
>
> However, I get the same problem with trying to open Word documents
> that are *attached* to emails.
>
> If I right-click on attachment.doc, and select "Open With...", Open
> Office Write is listed under "Known Applications".  However, if I
> select Open Office Write it opens a *blank* page.  This is the same
> behavior I get with KWord!
>
> Am I missing something here?

Here (openSUSE 11.0, KDE 3.5.9, KMail 1.9.10) it works. I have no idea
what could cause the behavior you are observing. I suggest to have a
look at the file (in the filesystem) that is opened in KWord or Open
Office Write. My guess is that the file is empty, i.e. its size is 0
bytes. This happens sometimes with IMAP (if attachments are loaded on
demand), but I know of no reason why it should also happen with local
mail.