[kdepim-users] Start akonadi server automatically?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 23 13:11:51 GMT 2009

On Monday, 2009-11-23, Johann Rohwer wrote:
> On Monday 23 November 2009, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Monday, 2009-11-23, Johann Rohwer wrote:
> > > Is there a setting to specify that the akonadi server is started
> > > automatically upon login? Currently I'm starting it via a desktop
> > > file in ~/.kde4/Autostart which calls akonadictl start.
> >
> > There is currently no such setting, so this is probably the best
> >  way to do it.
> >
> > Might make sense to have such a setting though, especially for use
> >  with emails (don't need a GUI running to fetch mails).
> >
> > At the moment it is started by the first application using it, i.e.
> >  start on demand.
>
> The only purpose I'm using akonadi for is to sync with my Palm Centro
> smartphone using kpilot, for which I've defined the standard
> addressbook and standard calendar as akonadi resources. However, firing
> up kpilot and kpilotDaemon does not start akonadi, and then kpilot
> hangs if akonadi is not running since no resource can be found.
>
> Bottom line - I need to start up akonadi by hand and having such a
> setting would be useful.

Right, syncing is another good example.

But these two programs or at least one of them should attempt to start Akonadi
anyway, just in case nothing else has started it yet.

Could be a bug or something which was forgotten to add at the transition to
Akonadi.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring