[kdepim-users] Kontact refuses to re-start

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 22:06:55 GMT 2009

On Monday 30 November 2009 21:14:54 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 30 November 2009 17:49:08 Bob Smits wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm running OpenSuse 11.2 64 bit on a Lenovo T61 and using the KDE4
> >  desktop.
> >
> > For the most part, it's working fine. Sound, connecting, even DVDs all
> > work OK.
> >
> > What doesn't work OK is Kontact KDE-PIM. It starts up OK and behaves
> >  normally until I shut it down. Then it refuses to re-start - the icon
> >  bounces for a while, then goes away, and nothing happens. The only way I
> >  can get it to start again is to log off my session and restart it.
> >
> > I looked for problems reported and note some of it appeared to relate to
> > having the kontact item in the tool bar so I removed it from there but
> > left it in it's normal menu position. That doesn't appear to make any
> > difference.
> >
> > Anyone else have this problem?
>
> Do you use KOrganizer?  We are finding that there is a problem that sounds
>  the same in Fedora.  For some reason Kontact simply will not start if your
>  korganizerrc is set to use the monthly view as current.  If that line is
>  removed Kontact starts normally.  Until this is resolved we have to make
>  sure that we don't stay in month-view when we shut kontact down.  HTH

The problem seems to be that Kontact  doesn't shut down properly when
KOrganizer is set to month view. I had the problem for a long time and never
thought that it could have anything to do with month vs. other views, but I've
just tested it and it closes down properly when set to e.g. week view.

I always had to do "ps ax|grep kontact" before starting it...

BTW: Kubuntu Karmic 9.10, KDE and Kontact 4.3.3.
Is this bug filed in Bugzilla?

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen