[kdepim-users] attachments in KMail

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Mon Nov 9 23:44:44 GMT 2009

On Monday 09 November 2009 05:40:17 pm Louis Hinman wrote:
> I am running KMail 1.9.10 in KDE 3.5.10 (both standard in Slackware
12.2).

> Although I can open MS Word documents in KWord, I don't seem to be
able to
> open them as attachments to email in KMail.  (When I right-click on
> attachment.doc and Open With...>Office>KWord, KWord opens with a blank
page.)

> I will upgrade to Slackware 13.0 soon (which will incorporates KDE
4.5.4).  In
> the meantime, is the failure to open Word attachments a known bug?  Is
there
> a work-around?
>
> Thanks & Best Regards,
>
> Louis Hinman
> New York City

Hello, Louis --

I do NOT know Slackware -- so I offer no direct comments.  I have opened
MANY MS-Word documents, received as attachments in K-Mail, into
OpenOffice.org -- Write.  The documents were prepared under MS-Office for
Mac -- but have never given me any problems when handled this way.  You
can download OpenOffice.org (even a Win-Doze edition!) for free -- and i
might suggest that you do this if it isn't part of the Slackware distro
yet.  I hope this is helpful, even though it is not a direct answer!

Bruce   Mac Arthur
     bmacasuru at fastmail.us