[kdepim-users] posting styles, was: Kmail Paragraph Spacing

Martin Bernreuther MartinBern at web.de
Mon Nov 2 23:08:59 GMT 2009

Hi David,

Am Montag, 2. November 2009 schrieb djmills at netspace.net.au:
> By the way.  I had always thought that when replying to an email the reply should appear above the original quoted text.  I have started to notice that other people such as yourself do the opposite - put the reply text below the original message.  You use this approach.  What can you tell me about the 2 choices?

the discussion about the right posting style
(cmp.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style)
is a quite old one and not all persons prefer top-posting...
e.g. http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html,
 http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html,
 http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html,
 http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm,

> Anyone else got a comment on this?

Personally, I think it's hard to connect the
top-posting email answers/comments to the
single points of the (previously maybe unknown)
original text, which comes as a appendage below
and will naturally be read afterwards.
For a long text with several points to reply to,
I think it's best to put the comments directly
"inline" below each point to make it easier
for the reader getting the context and
irrelevant parts of the original message
should be deleted to keep the reply
short and clear. After all, it doesn't
really matter how you quote. The
resulting email should just be easy