[kdepim-users] To which calendar does an event belong?

Guido Pinkernell guido.pinkernell at gmx.de
Sun May 17 14:34:34 BST 2009

Hi,

Am Sonntag 17 Mai 2009 15:06:04 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> Hi,
>
> Please always state what version you are using.

Presently KDE 4.2.3 (release 116) on openSUSE 11.1

> On Sunday 17 May 2009, Guido Pinkernell wrote:
> > Am Sonntag 17 Mai 2009 13:03:02 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> > > When viewing events in Korganizer, how can the user know to which
> > > calendar the event belongs?
>
> In KDE 3.5 one can assign different colors to different calendars.
>
> > > Furthermore, when creating a new event,
> > > how can the user add it to a specific calendar?
>
> In KDE 3.5, after creating a new event, one was asked to which calendar
> the event should be added.
>
> > I am not sure, but I think that the newly added data is not being
> > written to the calendar files, but akonadi saves it "somewhere else".
> > So you are probably in danger of losing your data.
>
> KOrganizer is not yet using Akonadi (in KDE 4.2). In a beta version of
> KDE 4.2 the calendar resources were automatically converted to Akonadi
> bridge resources, but this was reverted in the final version of KDE 4.2
> because there were some problems that could not be fixed for the
> release.
>
> > At least this was the case here: For some time, the option of adding
> > new data to a specific calendar had vanished (it normally popped up
> > after having defined a new event and then pressed OK). Then, for some
> > reason, I reloaded the calendar files into Korganizer, and all the
> > new data was gone. However, the option of adding it to a specific
> > calendar was back.
>
> Did you use a beta of KDE 4.2? If yes, then this might explain your
> observations.

Yes, I did. Thanks for clarifying.

> > I don't know how to tell akonadi to write all newly added data into
> > your calendar files. You might be in danger of losing it, as it was
> > the case here. Someone else might be able to tell you.
>
> If one's local calendars were converted to Akonadi bridge resources then
> one can revert this by removing the calendars from KOrganizer and then
> re-adding them as normal "Calendar in local file".

Ok... What I did, though, is reloading the my existing calendar files (which
had not been updated by korganizer). So what you suggest is creating a new
calendar file by chosing the option "calendar in local file", which then is
filled with all the data that is presently in korganizer.

So if I understand you correctly, then it's not "re-adding" the data but
creating a new calendar file based on the present data. So how does Korganizer
recognize whether some event originally belonged to calendar #1 and some other
to calendar #2. Anway, right now I don't need to find out.

> Kevin might give you more details. I suggest to search the archive of
> this list and of kde-pim for related messages written by Kevin Krammer
> if you want to know more. Alternatively, check out his blog
> (http://www.kdedevelopers.org/blog/83).

I will check. Thanks!

Guido