[kdepim-users] To which calendar does an event belong?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun May 17 14:06:04 BST 2009

Hi,

Please always state what version you are using.

On Sunday 17 May 2009, Guido Pinkernell wrote:
> Am Sonntag 17 Mai 2009 13:03:02 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> > When viewing events in Korganizer, how can the user know to which
> > calendar the event belongs?

In KDE 3.5 one can assign different colors to different calendars.

> > Furthermore, when creating a new event,
> > how can the user add it to a specific calendar?

In KDE 3.5, after creating a new event, one was asked to which calendar
the event should be added.

> I am not sure, but I think that the newly added data is not being
> written to the calendar files, but akonadi saves it "somewhere else".
> So you are probably in danger of losing your data.

KOrganizer is not yet using Akonadi (in KDE 4.2). In a beta version of
KDE 4.2 the calendar resources were automatically converted to Akonadi
bridge resources, but this was reverted in the final version of KDE 4.2
because there were some problems that could not be fixed for the
release.

> At least this was the case here: For some time, the option of adding
> new data to a specific calendar had vanished (it normally popped up
> after having defined a new event and then pressed OK). Then, for some
> reason, I reloaded the calendar files into Korganizer, and all the
> new data was gone. However, the option of adding it to a specific
> calendar was back.

Did you use a beta of KDE 4.2? If yes, then this might explain your
observations.

> I don't know how to tell akonadi to write all newly added data into
> your calendar files. You might be in danger of losing it, as it was
> the case here. Someone else might be able to tell you.

If one's local calendars were converted to Akonadi bridge resources then
one can revert this by removing the calendars from KOrganizer and then
re-adding them as normal "Calendar in local file".

Kevin might give you more details. I suggest to search the archive of
this list and of kde-pim for related messages written by Kevin Krammer
if you want to know more. Alternatively, check out his blog
(http://www.kdedevelopers.org/blog/83).