[kdepim-users] no automatic scroll in kmail inbox for new messages

John King johnmking_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 22 17:45:05 GMT 2009

Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> On Friday 20 March 2009, John King wrote:
>> I'm using kmail 1.11.1 on kde 4.2 in opensuse 11.1
>>
>> All my folders are set to jump to the first unread or new message
>> when entering a folder, and that works fine.
>>
>> However, under the previous kmail on kde 3.5, when new mail arrived
>> in the inbox, the inbox message list automatically scrolled to reveal
>> the arriving messages even though the focus of the cursor remained on
>> the inbox message being read.  In kmail on kde 4.2 that behaviour has
>> disappeared. Whatever the setting for aggregation or sort order, or
>> for looping in the kmail configuration misc section, the message list
>> remains the same, and it is necessary to scroll manually up the list
>> to see the new messages.
>>
>> Before I report this as a bug, I'd like to know:
>>
>> a)	 if others can confirm this change in behaviour
>
> Does this really work in KDE 3.5? I'm not aware of this ever having been
> fixed although it has been requested since ages.

This is very odd.  On my previous KDE 3.5 system (upgraded incrementally from
suse 10.3 to suse 11.1) it was definitely working.  I wasn't the only user of
our new KDE 4.2 installation that noticed the change.

However, in order to check settings in KDE 3.5 kmail, I reinstalled opensuse
11.1 with kde 3.5 on a separate partition - and it definitely *wasn't* working
on that setup.  It looks as though I can't report it as a regression if it
isn't present in a new installation of 3.5!

--

John