[kdepim-users] kmail keeps using wrong account for sending

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:32:37 GMT 2009

On Monday 09 March 2009 19:11:54 Dexter Filmore wrote:
> Two POP3 accounts, two identities. All was perfectly fine.
> Added anohter account/ID for googlemail.
> Turned out I am too dumb to set up GMail in KMail.
> Erased account. Screw Googlemail.

I'm surprised at that.  The instructions on the gmail site are quite clear.
Did you really have a problem with that, or is it that your setting of which
account to use was the real problem?

> Ever since that KMail keeps sending Mails from Account A by using the
> Account B protocol unless I explicitly do "send with" Acc A.
>
> What the hell?
>
> Help. Please. Royal annoyance.

Select Identity1 > Modify > Advanced Tab - if Identity1 is to use your default
Sender account, leave this empty.

Select Identity2 > Modify > Advanced Tab - assuming this is the gmail one,
select Special Transport and select the gmail sending account.

Having said that, you don't actually need to have two sending accounts.  You
can opt to send everything through your ISP's server, using your gmail
identity as well as the other one.  This is the simple way, and will just
work.

OTOH, if you have a laptop and want to use it in wifi hotspots, then the gmail
one is going to let you send mail from anywhere.  I have my ISP one set to
default, but on holiday I switch the default to gmail.  Very useful.

Anne