[kdepim-users] e-mails that take a long time to send

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 26 07:45:46 GMT 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009 04:45:36 E. Hakan Duran wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I remember a couple of threads in this list discussing how sometimes
> sending an e-mail almost locks kontact/kmail for several seconds. I have
> been experiencing that occasionally, too. I sign my e-mails and it takes
> sometimes more than a minute to see the prompt to enter the passphrase
> while sending some e-mails. If you chose to wait, it may take as long as
> several minutes to send a 5-line e-mail with no attachments. I recently
> noticed that the common denominator in all these types of e-mails, at least
> in my case, was the origin of the e-mail I was replying to being MS
> Outlook. To rephrase, if some one sends me an e-mail using Outlook and I
> chose to reply to it, even though both the original e-mail and the reply
> was very short, the sending process may lock-up kontact/kmail as described
> above. Not all the e-mails originated from Outlook cause this but all
> e-mails that cause this problem, at least in my case, originates from
> Outlook. I wonder if this is some kind of a field inserted by Outlook into
> the e-mail header causing this behavior?
>
> I hope I could make myself clear. I just wanted to share this, so other
> users may either confirm or refute this experience. If it is confirmed, it
> may be worthwhile to investigate what is the actual trigger, IMHO.

I'm seeing the same delays on some messages, but haven't looked for a common
denominator.  After reading this, I'll check next time it happens.

Another problem that seems to have been around only recently is that getting
the first message of the day from my imap server takes about 2 minutes.  After
that, everything is fine.  During that time kontact is shown by top as the
highest consumer of cpu, varying between 15-25%.  People on the fedora lists
are talking about initial delays with some applications when they are using
X11 1.1.5.  I'm wondering whether there is any connection.

Anne