[kdepim-users] 20090328TS -- I Request Location

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Mar 29 19:45:13 BST 2009

On Sunday 29 March 2009, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> Having just completed a move from one machine to another, I hope I
> can help.
>
> First, move these files (in ~/.kde/share/config)
>
> kmail.eventsrc
> kmailsnippetrc (if you have any snippets defined)
> kmailrc (most important)
> emailidentities (very important!)
>
> Copy this directory from the old location to the new location:
>
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail
>
> I hope that helps!

Some additional comments:

- It is best to copy those files/folders over the network from one
machine to the other.

- If you cannot do it over the network, but want to use a USB stick, an
external harddrive or a CD/DVD then you have to be very careful. The
most important thing to keep in mind is that often USB sticks and
external harddrives are formatted with the ancient FAT file system from
Microsoft. This file system has problems with mail stored in maildir
format (because of certain characters in the names of the files the
messages are stored in). Therefore, you should put the files/folders
you want to transfer into an archive (e.g. a tar-archive).

- You really should copy those files/folders over the network. It will
save you lots of trouble.