[kdepim-users] Trouble getting Kontact to start...

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Thu Jun 11 07:34:33 BST 2009

Am Thursday 11 June 2009 02:53:02 schrieb Robert Smits:
> I'm using KDE 3.5.10 release 46 with an opensuse 10.3 64 bit desktop.
> Lately, many times when I click on Kontact to start it, the icon bounces
> for a while and then goes away. Sometimes it calls on Kwallet and sometimes
> it doesn't. Sometimes I get the following message "The protocol for the
> pop3:// pop.telus.net protocol died unexpectedly".
>
> I've checked the email settings for both pop and smtp and they're correct -
> I'm on Telus. I've even tried changing the dns servers to open dns in case
> it was just Telus being slow. I have all the recent updates, and have
> updated KDE PIM as well.
>
> Any suggestions on where to look next for the problem?

I suppose there is some problem with timeouts too long or thelike with your
ISP.
you can also get more info about what's happening when you start kontact/kmail
from konsole (this way you will see tons of status messages).
another possibility is eventually try to debug your ISP connection via
telnet/ssh (just google for 'telnet port 143 imap' to get more info about how
to do this).

werner