[kdepim-users] Not working, Link from Kmail -> Konqoerror

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Thu Jun 4 16:52:46 BST 2009

On Thursday 04 June 2009 04:23, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2009-06-04, Günther J. Niederwimmer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > is it possible to configure KMail / Konquerror to work together?
> >
> > My Problem, when I start a Link from a EMail I have in the
> > Konquerror the /var/tmp/kdecache-xxxx/ path and not the correct
> > URL?
> >
> > openSuSE 11.1 KDE 4.2.4
>
> KMail uses a KDE service to launch applications for URLs so this has
> to be fixed at KDE settings level.
>
> The symptoms indicate that the file association of the file type of
> the link (text/html for normal web pages), or the global web browser
> setting, use a command which does not include %u as one of its
> parameters.
>
> For example on my system I have
> System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> File associations
> for text/html Konqueror on top of the list
> If I select this entry and click "Edit" I see that the command is
> kfmclient openURL %u text/html
>
> where %u will be replaced with the URL
>
> This command is usually directly taken from a .desktop file installed
> by the application packages so it should be correct.
> Manual modifications to file associations could have changed that.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

I have long had the very same problem under openSUSE 10.2.  I am
migrating to Kubuntu Jaunty (9.04) and do not yet know quite what to
expect in this regard.  A previous off-list exchange on the topic reads
as follows.  I would note that, although I think that I have found the
area cited by Kevin, everything actually reads quite differently -- and
the /var... that is used by Konqueror does NOT appear!  I do NOT yet
understand how to make things function "normally"!!!  Any further
specific remarks would be GREATLY appreciated!

On Wednesday 01 April 2009 08:41:00 Bruce MacArthur wrote:

> I was just reminded of a "problem" that I have long been having, and
> wonder if you have any idea of how to even categorize it!
>
> A contact sends me an E-mail message which includes a hyper-link to a
> web-site.  I click on the hyper-link, expecting to go to the web-site
> indicated.  But that does NOT happen!
>
> Instead, Konquorer opens and displays "the same thing" that is on that
> web-site, but I am "dead in the water".  The problem is indicated in
> the address-bar of Konquorer.  For example, it says --
> /var/tmp/kdecache-bruce/krun/19160.0.noah.htm
>
> If this page has any hyper-links, they have a similar style --
beginning in /var/tmp/kdecache-bruce/krun/.  Since this does not exist,
I get a 404 -- File Not Found error.

> All of this is quite in spite of the fact that (in this particular
case)> the actual hyper-link, as found in the E-Mail message, reads --
> http://home.att.net/~hideaway_today/t133/noah.htm
>
> This particular example does NOT have hyper-links on the page, so it
> does not display that aspect of the problem.  But the peculiar
> conversion from a legitimate link to a spurious one is shown
typically.

> I have not yet seen anything which would appear to explain this
strange behavior -- or allow me to correct the settings or situation in
any way.  Do you have any idea of how I can find out what is wrong and
how to fix it?

Yes.  The reason is that the link being in the mail message is causing
KDE to cache it, and you are working from the cached version.  You have
two options.  You can either use right-click to copy the link onto the
clipboard, then open Konqueror (or Firefox) and paste it into the
browser, or you can tell KDE's control center that you want to use
Firefox as your default browser.  If I remember correctly it will not
feed the cached address to Firefox.

Konqueror's great strength and weakness are one and the same - it sticks
to the rules, which means that it doesn't play well with the many web
sites that don't.  Firefox includes a lot of work-arounds to deal with
those pages.

I can't remember the exact layout of kcontrol in OpenSUSE, but you want
the screen 'Default Application'.  Try setting the default web browser
to Firefox.  (Mine is left with konqueror, but I often use the copy and
paste on the address if it's in a mail message.)

Did I tell you that highlighting text copies it onto the clipboard?  If
you put your cursor where you want it to appear, you can then just
middle-click and it will be pasted in.

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur