[kdepim-users] Path (was: 20090723KP -- Copying KMail)

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Sun Jul 26 07:02:04 BST 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 15:05, Martin Bernreuther wrote:
> Am Freitag, 24. Juli 2009 schrieb Bruce MacArthur:
> > The fully-qualified path-name is --
> > /home/bruce/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail.
> >
> > I was in /home/bruce.
> > That means that I could see the folder /.kde -- which had the
> > remainder of the path logically "under" it.
> >
> > Am I confused myself, or did my poor choice of wording confuse
> > those who know what is going on?
>
> There's a difference between an absolute path and a relative path
> (cmp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing) )
> Both /home/bruce and /.kde are absolute paths.
>
> If there are problems using the relative path (without the leading
> /), using the absolute path (aka fully-qualified path-name) should
> also work!
>
> Probably it's just a typo and you mean .kde instead of /.kde ...
>
> Martin

My most sincere THANKS to each of the several people who have been kind
enough to help clarify my mis-understandings!  In order to simplify (?)
things, I shall specify the complete path, from / onward.

If I understand everything correctly, I can boot to Kubuntu Jaunty and,
in Konsole, change directories
to /suse102/home/bruce/.kde/share/apps/KMail/mail/.KMail-Import.directory.

Here I can "tar  -cvjf  /home/bu4lu3si1/suseKMail.tar.bz2
suse102/home/bruce/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.KMail-Import/directory"

What I intend to do by that command is to put the tarball from my
opensuse partition in my Jaunty home folder (/home/bu4lu3si1)

I assume that part of that code is redundant, but I hope that it is both
clear and correct.  Perhaps the simpler way is to not even change
directories (or folders!), since the command is now being entered with
a fully-qualified path-name -- is that correct?

Then I can change directories
to /home/bu4lu3si1/.kde/share/apps/KMail/mail and
tar -xvjf  /home/bu4lu3si1/suseKMail.tar.bz2

It appears to me as if the extraction step may not like a second path
argument, which would mean that the changing to the right folder would
be an important step.  Perhaps it WILL accept the second path, in which
case I could "get away with" NO changing of directories!  That would
mean that the command should read
tar -xvjf /home/bu4lu3si1/suseKMail.tar.bz2
/home/bu4lu3si1/.kde/share/apps/KMail/mail

The other question in my mind is "When I am in 'bu4lu3si1 at ma4ca4su1ru4'
in the Konsole, do I create confusion and trouble by
specifying '/home/bu4lu3si1/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail'?  Should I
simply say '.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail'?"

I realize that "tar help" IS my friend (as one correspondent put it so
well), but I also realize that I am not yet reading things quite as I
really ought to read and understand them!  THANKS for such generous
assistance and instruction!!!!!

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur