[kdepim-users] 20090723KP -- Copying KMail

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 07:52:56 BST 2009

Hi Bruce

On Friday 24 July 2009 07:49:03 Bruce MacArthur wrote:

> Hello Thomas --
> First, I understand that English (which is NOT a simple language!) is
> not your first language, as it is mine.

You are absolutely right :-) I barely grasp Danish grammar so English...

> So let me state my assumption
> that this means, "When you were executing the (cvjf) command, are you
> sure that you were in your home directory on the openSUSE partition?"
>
> At first, I was in "/home/bruce/", which means that "/.kde/share..." was
> immediately visible.  Since then, I have tried it from "/home/" with
> identical results (I think!).  Since I have not actually been able to
> study the mails.tar.bz2 files, I cannot determine whether or not they
> are identical; I could see no difference as file-names are displayed on
> the monitor!

You should execute it from /home/bruce and AFAIRC you can list the files in the
archive by "tar -jtf mails.tar.bz".

> > Secondly: When you where executing the "tar  -xvjf  mails.tar.bz2"
> > command where sure that you where in your home directory on the
> > Jaunty partition AND that the mails.tar.bz2 package was there too (ls
> > -l mails.tar.bz2)?
>
> At first, I thought that I needed to go to the Jaunty "/home/bu4lu3si1/"
> folder by reason that this is where I would want to have the data
> appear.  I received the diagnostics cited.  Then it occurred to me that
> perhaps I needed to stay in the folder where the mails.tar.bz2 file is
> most likely to be located -- and I received the very same diagnostics!

If this is your home directory on the Jaunty partition, then yes.

> > >      tar:   mails.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
> > >      tar:   Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > >      tar;   Child returned status 2
> > >      tar:   Error exit delayed from previous errors
> >
> > This indicates that the file is not in the same directory as you.
>
> I agree.  But I do not see the logic of having the very same
> diagnostics, regardless of whether I do or do not change
> folder/directory!  Should I qualify the file-name somehow?  If so, then
> how should I qualify it?  THANK YOU for a couple of good questions!

The "f" in "xvjf" is where you qualify the filename if I understand you
correctly. (And as I mentioned "ls -l mails.tar.bz2" to make sure this is
where the file is.)

So basically "tar -xvjf  mails.tar.bz2" means

- "x" - extract
- "v" - be verbose during extraction (list the files being extracted)
- "j" - filter through the bzip2 compression tool
- "f" - the file to extract is named mails.tar.bz2

"tar --help" is your friend :-)

BTW: Are sure "/home/bu4lu3si1/" is mounted while you are extracting the file?
Otherwise it's just an empty directory.

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

  Thomas Olsen

Til uvedkommende, der læser med: Der er ingen grund til at læse min mail.
Jeg har intet at gøre med FARC, al-Jihad, al-Qaida, Hamas, Hizb al-Mujahidin
eller ETA.
Jeg har aldrig gjort Zakat, går ikke ind for Istishad, har ikke lavet en
bilbombe eller kernevåben og jeg ved dårligt nok, hvad Al Manar og бомба
betyder.
Men tak for den udviste interesse