[kdepim-users] IMAP shared mailboxes: issues with kmail?

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Tue Jan 20 22:17:33 GMT 2009

Am Dienstag 20 Januar 2009 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> I'm subscribed to kdepim-users, so replying to the list suffices.
>
> On Tuesday 20 January 2009, Wilhelm Meier wrote:

> > > KMail does not watch its folder storage for changes. So it is
> > > by design (we wanted to keep it simple) that a running KMail
> > > does not notice all changes done by other processes.
> >
> > If I turn on "auto-expunge=true" the mail-files in the
> > MDA-storage (MDA=dovecot) are deleted, but only if I select the
> > INBOX in KMail instance which did the deletion. In this case the
> > other KMails instance see the changes if they refresh the list.
> >
> > This would be fine, if I hadn't select the INDOX. It would be
> > better if the expunging takes place immediately or after a
> > timeout / refresh-timeval.
>
> Ahh, misunderstanding. The different KMails are all using IMAP to
> access the shared folders. Correct?
>
> For technical reasons KMail does not support change notifications
> by the IMAP server. But I still do not really understand what
> problems you are observing. You delete a message in a shared folder
> with one KMail, but other KMails notice that the message has been
> deleted only after a restart?

Yes, mostly.

If auto-expunge=false, the other KMail only notice the deleted message
after restart. In this case the mail-files (on the impa-server) get
deleted when the KMail starts.

If auto-expunge=true, the messages vanishes in another KMails list (if
I select a random other folder and then select the shared folder
again), if the first KMail compresses the folder on a
context-menu-action or if I switch to the INBOX.

So, I think here are two problems:

1) the expunge of the KMail deleting the message should take place
immediately or after some timeout without the need to select the
INBOX

2) the notification of the expunged message should reach the other
KMail, even if I stay in the shared-folder.

This is all with imap, not dimap.

--
Wilhelm