[kdepim-users] IMAP shared mailboxes: issues with kmail?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jan 20 21:46:37 GMT 2009

I'm subscribed to kdepim-users, so replying to the list suffices.

On Tuesday 20 January 2009, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> Am Dienstag 20 Januar 2009 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > On Monday 19 January 2009, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > are there any known issues with symlinked-shared-mailboxes and
> > > kmail?
> > >
> > > I use dovecot with virtual users (LDAP), so there are no
> > > unix-permissions related
> > > problems here: all mailboxes are owned by the local user vmail.
> > >
> > > Each user maildir has some symlinks to shared mailboxes. This
> > > works fine if I use squirrelmail as a MUA.
> > >
> > > kmail instead seems to have some problems: if I save a mail into
> > > the shared-folder, the other users are seeing this new mail
> > > almost immediately. But if I delete(!) a mail from the
> > > shared-folder, the list of the other kmails remains untouch.
> > > Refreshing does nothing. I have to close kmail and restart.
> > >
> > > Is this related to some sort of wrong config of the shared
> > > mailboxes or is this a (known) dovecot <-> kmail problem?
> >
> > KMail does not watch its folder storage for changes. So it is by
> > design (we wanted to keep it simple) that a running KMail does not
> > notice all changes done by other processes.
>
> If I turn on "auto-expunge=true" the mail-files in the MDA-storage
> (MDA=dovecot) are deleted, but only if I select the INBOX in KMail
> instance which did the deletion. In this case the other KMails
> instance see the changes if they refresh the list.
>
> This would be fine, if I hadn't select the INDOX. It would be better
> if the expunging takes place immediately or after a timeout /
> refresh-timeval.

Ahh, misunderstanding. The different KMails are all using IMAP to access
the shared folders. Correct?

For technical reasons KMail does not support change notifications by the
IMAP server. But I still do not really understand what problems you are
observing. You delete a message in a shared folder with one KMail, but
other KMails notice that the message has been deleted only after a
restart?