[kdepim-users] Disable auto-filtering IMAP

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jan 20 19:48:53 GMT 2009

On Monday 19 January 2009, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > What is doing this auto-filtering?  Are these kmail filters,
> > operating on your local setup, or filters on an IMAP server?  We
> > could use a description of what is happening, please.
>
> Anne:
> Thanks for replying. It's helping to know that I'm at least getting
> someone's attention. :-)
>
> As for the problem, it's LOCAL filters in KMail that as soon as I
> access the IMAP folder *copy* the messages into my local folders
> without deleting them from the server. To make things worse, it's not
> *all* messages, otherwise, I could just delete the messages from the
> IMAP folder. But I have to POP the emails from the server to get the
> rest that did not auto-filter. For this reason, I often end up with
> two or three copies of some messages.

Did you check the Advanced settings of those filters? Which option is
selected for "Apply this filter to incoming messages"?

The impression that KMail copies the messages instead of moving them
might be due to the server's behavior. If one deletes a message in an
IMAP folder then this message is at first only marked as deleted. KMail
usually tells the server to remove those "deleted" message when you
switch to another folder resp. when KMail closes the IMAP folder. If
the POP functionality of the server does not hide messages which are
marked as deleted, then this would explain the message duplication.