[kdepim-users] Disable auto-filtering IMAP

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:01:21 GMT 2009

On Monday 19 January 2009 14:12:46 John Aldrich wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > What is doing this auto-filtering?  Are these kmail filters, operating
> > on your local setup, or filters on an IMAP server?  We could use a
> > description of what is happening, please.
>
> Anne:
> Thanks for replying. It's helping to know that I'm at least getting
> someone's attention. :-)

We aim to please :-)

> As for the problem, it's LOCAL filters in KMail that as soon as I access
> the IMAP folder *copy* the messages into my local folders without deleting
> them from the server. To make things worse, it's not *all* messages,
> otherwise, I could just delete the messages from the IMAP folder. But I
> have to POP the emails from the server to get the rest that did not
> auto-filter. For this reason, I often end up with two or three copies of
> some messages.

I'm finding this really confusing.  The normal behaviour for an imap server is
to hold all your mail until you tell it to delete something.  Your mail
application, kmail, should then download the headers of the messages and open
the full body of a message when you move to it to read.

Then there is disconnected imap (dimap) in which you say that you want to work
off-line, so when you connect it copies all your messages onto your local
machine.  It still does not delete the server copy.  I don't use this method
myself, but I would think it's fairly clear when you are telling it to delete
a message.  It sounds to me as though that's the imap version that you are
using.  If you don't need this facility I'd suggest that you create a new
account using plain imap, and delete the old dimap one.

The only reason that I can think of for some messages not being downloaded is
that it's possible to 'subscribe' to certain folders.  Could you have done
that?

As I said, I'm finding your problem confusing, so I'm casting around with
nuggets from other experience in the hope that something will point you to the
problem.

Anne