[kdepim-users] About Crypto

Wed Jan 7 14:41:38 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 07 Jan 2009 4:50:43 am Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009, Kishore wrote:
> > >
> > > in short: anyone you want to send an encrypted mail to, will first
> > > have to send you his public (gnupg) key (or you grab it from a
> > > public keyserver). you can then use this to encrypt the message -
> > > the recipient can then decrypt it using his private key.
> > > same applies the other way round :)
> >
> > Interesting... always wondered how this worked! :) Oh and it seems
> > that you can only do encryption with rsa keys  and not dsa keys!
>
> It's a bit more complicated. With RSA keys you can sign and encrypt.
> With DSA and Elgamal keys you can sign (which is done with the DSA key)
> and encrypt (which is done with the Elgamal key which is generated as
> subkey of the DSA key).
>
> I suggest to create a DSA/Elgamal key (i.e. the default of GnuPG).

I used kleopatra to create a certificate for me. In the end it when i chose to
upload the certificate to a directory service, it defaulted to keys.gnupg.net
but then it warned me that before exporting, i should make sure i have created
a "revocation certificate" so that i could revoke the certificate if needed
later. What does revocation certificate mean? And how do I create it?
--
Cheers!
Kishore