[kdepim-users] About Crypto

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Wed Jan 7 16:54:00 GMT 2009

Am Mittwoch 07 Januar 2009 15:41:38 schrieb Kishore:
> I used kleopatra to create a certificate for me. In the end it when i chose
> to upload the certificate to a directory service, it defaulted to
> keys.gnupg.net but then it warned me that before exporting, i should make
> sure i have created a "revocation certificate" so that i could revoke the
> certificate if needed later. What does revocation certificate mean? And how
> do I create it?

from http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/c14.html :

After your keypair is created you should immediately generate a revocation
certificate for the primary public key using the option --gen-revoke. If you
forget your passphrase or if your private key is compromised or lost, this
revocation certificate may be published to notify others that the public key
should no longer be used. A revoked public key can still be used to verify
signatures made by you in the past, but it cannot be used to encrypt future
messages to you. It also does not affect your ability to decrypt messages sent
to you in the past if you still do have access to the private key.

HTH

werner