[kdepim-users] Fwd: KMail - Hiding the 'To:' address in a distribution list

Peter peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 28 23:30:02 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 22:43:25 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2009 09:59:21 Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > > Okay, thanks,
> >
> > Yes, should be fixed with KDE 4.2
> > In 4.1 somehow a couple of applications ended up using a different form
> > of distribution list handling than others, resulting in not being
> > compatible with each other.
>
> Yes, I think it's fixed in 4.2.  I tried testing it on a test-list
> consisting of my addresses.  I got the correct number of copies, but it was
> not clear whether they actually went to the separate accounts.  If Kevin,
> Hakan and Peter agree I'll set up a list to send to them, so that we can
> all see whether it works.

Hi Anne,

Yes, I'm happy to be on a dist list for testing this.

Just remebered something pegasus did to handle this, not that KMail needs to
clone something, but it was well handled.

When a distribution list was used (e.g lets call it 'alumni' ), it simply went
in the 'To:' field when composing the email. Now if the filename containg that
dist list was, for example 'LIST6BDB.PML' , then you would see in the box
where an email address usually resides:

   @LIST6BDB.PML

so I guess when the 'send' is done, the '@LIST6BDB.PML' tells the email client
it is a dist list, and it go gets the file containing the list. This way, it is
neat and tidy, you just have one address, and the management of the dist list
is done seperately. If you wanted to BCC those addreses, this is also done in
the dist list management side of things, you simply add a 'To' address, which
usually would be your own.

Peter