[kdepim-users] Moving KMail to another computer

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Fri Jan 2 12:45:16 GMT 2009

Am Freitag 02 Januar 2009 13:38:06 schrieb Peter777:
> so , Ubuntu doesn't like the strange looking filename, with a colon and a
> comma in it, maybe ??
>
> It's definitely not a permissions problem either, as I have full read and
> write access to the USB stick (and to the KMail folders).
>
> Also, tried a copy command (at terminal - cp ) , and got the same message,
> no way does it like the colons in the filename. It didn't copy the POP3
> files either, as they have colons in them.
>
> Any clues how to fix this please  ?  I'm using KMail 1.9.10 , but that
> seems irrelevant, when the operating system spits the dummy on the
> filename.  :)

this is a common problem with usb sticks or other fat-formatted media (not
sure if there is already a related faq at userbase.kde.org).
in short: fat cannot handle maildir file/folder names.
solution: pack everything in a tar/gzip/bzip/whatever archive and copy that
one.

werner
p.s: please don't top-post (especially in an already correctly quoted thread).