[kdepim-users] Moving KMail to another computer

Peter777 peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 2 12:58:23 GMT 2009

Hi,

On Friday 02 January 2009 23:45:16 Werner Joss wrote:
> this is a common problem with usb sticks or other fat-formatted media (not
> sure if there is already a related faq at userbase.kde.org).
> in short: fat cannot handle maildir file/folder names.
> solution: pack everything in a tar/gzip/bzip/whatever archive and copy that
> one.

Yes, I found something at http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8482/ , which made
me look at the filing system of the USB. I had it formatted to vfat, as it
was used for transferring files between Ubuntu and an XP computer. I think XP
didn't like a *nix filing system, but *nix can handle vfat.

Good idea on the pack it all into a tar, I should have done that.

Thanks,

Peter