[kdepim-users] Mini-Y2K problem with dates in address book

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Jan 1 13:07:26 GMT 2009

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 December 2008 23:21:42 JW wrote:
> > I use Kontact. I don't know exactly which KDE application
> > represents the addressbook part - KAddressbook maybe?
>
> kabc

KAddressBook is the address book application that is also used in
Kontact. kabc is the internal name for the address book backend which
is used by KAddressBook and all other applications accessing the
address book.

> > Anyway, today I was looking up someone's anniversary and birthday
> > and noticed that it was displacing a two digit year. I thought I'd
> > made a mistake in entering it so I corrected both entries to a
> > 4-digit year and saved it.
> >
> > When I reopened the contact's details to verify, it had reverted to
> > two digit years.
>
> What distro and kontact-version is this?  In all versions I've used
> birthdays and anniversaries are stored in korganizer.

Unless you have entered the birthdays and anniversaries directly in
KOrganizer they are stored in the address book. The birthdays are shown
in KOrganizer if you enable the "Birthdays From KAddressBook" resource.

> I've never
> seen this problem - I would have thought that date display would
> follow the general kde configuration rules set in systemsettings >
> regional & language > country/region & language, Time & Dates tab

This is correct. On my machine the birthdate is shown in the format
YYYY-MM-DD, i.e. in the "Short date format" as specified in the above
mentioned configuration dialog.