[kdepim-users] Personal gpg preferences in kaddressbook

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 25 21:06:30 GMT 2009

On Sunday 25 January 2009 14:46:22 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 January 2009 10:51:26 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I now have 4.2 on my netbook.  The crashes on entering folders have
> > > gone.   Unfortunately I still have the gpg problem.  I've mailed
> > > the dev to let him know.
> >
> > I'm becoming more and more convinced that the problem lies in
> > kaddressbook. For some reason, if I kill the 'fetching keys' box, I
> > can see a whole raft of keys from my keyrings, including one of my
> > expired ones, but not the current key or another expired one.  Very
> > strange.
> >
> > Some of the addresses I use have an encryption key already set, But
> > if you bring up the Change dialogue you see the same thing - other
> > keys, but not my default one.
>
> Hmm, maybe Kleopatra (KDE PIM's OpenPGP/S/MIME backend) is choking on
> one of the keys in your keyring. Try with a new ~/.gnupg and, at first,
> import only your own keys. Then import other keys as needed.
>
> With the following command you can export all public keys into separate
> files:
> gpg --list-keys --with-colon --fixed-list | grep ^pub | cut -d: -f5 |
> xargs -I{} gpg --output 0x{}.pub --export 0x{}

Ingo, you're a star!  Why it happened, I have no idea, but it looks as though
that is exactly what did happen.  With a new keyring I requested my key from
the server.  After that I could add it to the identity, and signing and
encryption appear to be working perfectly.

It only remains now to see whether kmail is importing keys automatically.  In
may experience kgpg doesn't show new keys immediately, but it should be
obvious by morning.

Thanks again

Anne