[kdepim-users] Status of Kitchsync / Opensync for PIM

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Mon Jan 5 11:22:33 GMT 2009

Hello,

On Monday 05 January 2009, Jurian Sluiman wrote:
> Hi all,
> Last week an email passed with a question about synchronizing PIM
> data. I'm using KDE since KDE4 and I never managed to synchronize my
> E51 with Kontact or Kaddressbook because of a broken
> opensync-plugin-kdepim. I found out there was a KDE frontend for
> opensync called Kitchensync, but it's broken as well.
>
> Apparently both packages requires libkcal2b, but it's not in the
> repositories of Kubuntu anymore. Someone opened a bug at launchpad
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libopensync-plugin-
> kdepim/+bug/278747) but nobody knows how to solve the problem.
>
> Who has information about the broken functionality and what are the
> requirements to solve this problem? Should I open a bug on
> bugs.kde.org or is somebody already busy rewriting the kitchensync
> software?

kitchensync uses opensync 0.22 (the latest stable version), and the
kdepim-sync plugin of that version uses the KDE3 libraries.
So you probably can't sync with that version against KDE4 as KDE4 uses a
different default location of the PIM data (~/.kde4 instead ~/.kde)
I didn't try if there is a workaround to that problem.

Currently there is no kdepim-sync plugin which links against the new
KDE4 libraries, and there is no work put into the already old version
0.22 of opensync. Instead, there is heavy work going on for the next
stable release 0.40.

However, work has been started on a new KDE4-PIM opensync plugin which
uses the new Akonadi infrastructure, so at some point in time after the
release of opensync 0.40 there will be a working KDE-PIM sync again.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail